[systemd-devel] documentation and required version

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Wed Jul 30 07:16:53 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 01:58:51PM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.exec.html
> >
> > such error messages caused by list all sort of options
> > without any information when they where introduced are
> > really annoying - the docs should clearly say the minimum
> > required systemd version and the more options are added
> > the more important is that
> >
> > Jul 30 13:17:09 rh systemd[1]: [/usr/lib/systemd/system/mysqld.service:10] Unknown lvalue 'RuntimeDirectory' in
> > section 'Service'
> > Jul 30 13:17:09 rh systemd[1]: [/usr/lib/systemd/system/mysqld.service:11] Unknown lvalue 'RuntimeDirectoryMode' in
> > section 'Service
>
> Won't this be solved by using the man pages shipped with the version
> of systemd you are using?

Sure, this works when you need to figure out if your current systemd
supports a directive. It doesn't work for the quasi-inverse question --
given a directive, what version of systemd do I need to support this?
For people who don't run the latest and greatest all the time, I can
understand why this might be valuable.

Maybe there's some way of using git history of the gperf files to
compile a systemd.availability manpage (similar to systemd.directives).