[systemd-devel] [RFC] Split keymap conversion functions to separate library

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Tue Jun 3 02:05:53 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Michal Sekletar <msekleta at redhat.com> wrote:

> Currently systemd-localed does conversions from X11 keymap to VConsole keymap
> and vice-versa. There was a request coming from Anaconda installer team at Red
> Hat which was about splitting this functionality to separate library.
>
> I am curious if other people would be interested in such library and if systemd
> upstream is good place for it.

No, we are not really interested in extending the support of the
legacy kernel console keymaps or fonts handling. The facility
is too broken, buggy, limited and unreliable to be supported. It
is a nice "debugging tool", but not the technology we need today.

All this will move to userspace and the insufficient kernel consoles
will just go away.

Kay