[systemd-devel] Systemd-networkd, default route and multiple interfaces

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jun 3 11:58:18 PDT 2014

On Mon, 02.06.14 21:02, Tom Gundersen (teg at jklm.no) wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 8:47 PM, Reventlov
> <contact+systemd+ml at volcanis.me> wrote:
> > Since network files are applied to links whenever the links
> > appear, how do systemd manage the "disappearance" of a default route ?
>
> You can have several default routes, so we just configure them all and
> let the kernel handle it for us. We probably should improve the config
> options to make it possible to override the priority of the routes.

Windows initializes the route metric value for each route from the
"speed" of the interface. If there are multiple links and for one we
know it's a gigabit ethernet link, and the other is a 54mbit wlan link,
then the former would automatically get preference... it's a bit black
magic, but kinda cool black magic i think...

that said, i am not sure we even have a sane API to determine the speed
of links... maybe ethtool reports it at least for wired ethernet? but
for wlan?