[systemd-devel] Soliciting feedback for golang bindings to the systemd journal C API

Dan Mace dmace at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 11:56:24 PDT 2014

Hello!

We've been working on golang bindings to the systemd journal interface (sd-journal.h), as well as a higher level go API which builds on the bindings.  The immediate goal is to replace  the use of forked calls to journalctl in a project.  To that end, we've been wrapping only the subset of sd-journal.h necessary to build the go API necessary to support existing journalctl usages.

The work is currently taking place in my fork of the go-systemd project:

  https://github.com/ironcladlou/go-systemd/compare/cgo-journal

(The only test code there is a work-in-progress scratchpad I've been using for iterative development- actual tests are forthcoming once we're satisfied there won't be any more API churn.)

We've observed a segfault during this simple test, but only once:

  http://fpaste.org/107299/14019224/

I've had no success reproducing the segfault.  My first thought was a race when closing the journal while dealing with the setup or execution of sd_journal_wait, but no amount of concurrent closing or other access to the sd_journal instance has led me to the same error.  Any advice for reproducing the segfault would be greatly appreciated.

We're interested in getting feedback on the cgo bindings and go API.  Does anybody else out there see a need for these bindings?  All suggestions and contributions are very welcome.

--
Dan Mace
OpenShift, PaaS by Red Hat