[systemd-devel] no fsck at boot

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jun 9 16:24:18 PDT 2014

'Twas brillig, and Reindl Harald at 09/06/14 19:57 did gyre and gimble:
> what disturbs me is they warning about "touch /forcefsck" while
> it's currently the *only* option to trigger a recommended fsck
> at boot on a remote-server (and no add kernel params for that
> in the grub-config and remove them after is not a sane way for
> sysadmins maintaining 10,20,30 remote servers)

As has been mentioned numerous times, these warnings are there because
if you need to use something to force an fsck (this current problem not
withstanding) then modifying the suspect filesystem in question is a
really bad idea! The warnings are in place to cover this use case and to
discourage it as a first port of call without giving it proper thought.

In this particular case where you are actually (presumably) quite happy
with the filesystem, then using this trigger mechanism is perfectly fine
and you can ignore the warnings happy in the knowledge that you know better.

Of course there are ways (extensions or patches I forget which) to tell
grub to do something one-time only (IIRC there is a system called
rebootin which does this). Such an approach would achieve the same
simplicity you crave with the touch approach but via the kernel command
line trigger instead. This would mean you wouldn't have to manually edit
and later restore your grub command line each time and, assuming /boot
is separate from /, you could trigger all this while / is mounted ro.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie