[systemd-devel] systemd-network-wait-online symlinks to systemd-networkd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jun 10 09:26:47 PDT 2014

On Sun, 08.06.14 09:37, Dave Reisner (d at falconindy.com) wrote:

> On a related topic, could we please stop shipping hardcoded symlinks in
> /etc in favor of documented reccomendations for downstream packagers?

Hmm, well. The way automake currently works is that all config files are
overwritten on "make install". WHich is probably the right thing to do I
think. People who use "make install" without DESTDIR= should be prepared
to get their configured reset in one way or another...

Creating a couple of symlinks in /etc, and dropping a number of
configuration files in, doesn't appear to be so much of a difference to
me. Can you explain to me why we should depart from automake's
traditional behaviour here, and wh symlinks should be something
different from configuration files?

I mean, ideally we'd just invoke "systemctl preset" for these things,
but for the sake of cross-compilation we can avoid this easily.

We probably should ship make sure to ship the very same symlinks we
create with "make install" with a preset file though...