[systemd-devel] systemd-network-wait-online symlinks to systemd-networkd

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 11:29:57 PDT 2014

On 10/06/14 18:58, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> The problem with installing these symlinks as part of a package is
> that the user may have removed them from /etc/systemd using systemctl
> disable.
> If rpm or dpkg have a way to detect when the sysadmin has removed a
> file and will not replace that file, that's news to me.

dpkg does. I don't know whether it works for symlinks, but it certainly
does for ordinary files: if they're marked as conffiles[1] (as all files
in /etc that are present in the .deb should be) then removal is treated
as a deliberate sysadmin change.

On the other hand, it isn't rocket science to remove those symlinks from
the DESTDIR just after "make install".

systemd's unit symlinks seem somewhat analogous to /etc/rc?.d symlinks,
and those aren't included in .deb packages: they are created by a tool
in the postinst (equivalent of RPM %post).

[1] this is dpkg jargon, and means something specific: configuration
    files that are shipped in the .deb are conffiles, but configuration
    files that are created by the preinst/postinst aren't