[systemd-devel] Soliciting feedback for golang bindings to the systemd journal C API

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Jun 11 01:56:15 PDT 2014

On Tue, 10.06.14 10:13, Brandon Philips (brandon at ifup.co) wrote:

> > Can you please point me to the implementation?  All I've seen is this:
> >
> >   https://github.com/coreos/go-systemd/blob/master/journal/send.go
> >
> > Which only handles writes via the Unix socket.  The implementation we're prototyping supports journal queries in ways that (to my knowledge) aren't possible without either forking to external tools (e.g. journalctl) or linking to sd-journal.
>
> The reason I didn't implement the sd-journal binding originally was
> because I thought that the journal DBus API would be coming sooner. I
> think adding this is great as-is and would happily merge it back
> upstream.
>
> We just have to be aware that eventually this API will need to expose
> a KDBus API too.

Note that the kdbus API of journald will probably never allow you to
read the journal files. It will provide APIs to log, but for reading
the files we want to avoid the price for IPC and just always go
directly via file system accesses. Hence going via sd-journal to access
the files should be future-proof.