[systemd-devel] Detecting failed units based on active state

David.Yates at continental-corporation.com David.Yates at continental-corporation.com
Wed Jun 11 02:47:49 PDT 2014

Hi,

We have written a component that detects failing units in the system. This
registers for the PropertiesChanged signal, to be notified whenever the
ActiveState of a unit changes.

However this signal is sent without the property values. This can result
in a problem when a unit is restarted fast (i.e. RestartSec=0) because we
miss the "FailedState" and can not distinguish between a failed unit and a
unit that was intentionally stopped and restarted.

We looked at using the InactiveEnterTimestamp however there we also can
not make the distinction.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we could handle this problem (i.e. other
properties that could be used)?

In case there is no solution we wondered about introducing a new property
(UnitFailedCount) to track the number of failures within the current
lifecycle. Any thoughts??

Thanks

Dave

Software Architect System Software

I IC RD G SW SSW HKT
Continental Automotive GmbH
Interior Infotainment & Connectivity
Philipsstrasse 1, 35576 Wetzlar, Germany

Telefon/Phone: +49 6441 370-8289
Mobile/Handy: +49 151 6522 9102