[systemd-devel] systemd not initializing

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 04:58:07 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Jay D Bhatt <jay.bhatt at igate.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on the Freescale hardware. I am using u-boot and uImage
> provided with hardware.
>
> When I try to boot the Tizen on my board, It boots u-boot and kernel uImage
> loads fine. But it stops at “Freeing Init Memory: 244k”  and does not do
> anything.
>
> I wanted to know how does the kernel contact systemd for initialization? I
> checked the kernel configurations and made is suitable for systemd
> initialization, but still the same problem remains.
>
> I don’t get login prompt , so I can’t debug what’s going on during
> initialization process through sysctl .
>
> Could anybody suggest what could I be missing or any help on explanation on
> how kernel passes command to system initialization?

It works the same way as other init systems:

If you use an initramfs, the kernel looks for an /init program inside,
and executes it as PID 1. (The initramfs /init then mounts real root
and exec's /sbin/init found there.)

Without an initramfs, the kernel looks for /sbin/init, /etc/init,
/bin/init directly on the root filesystem (can be overridden using the
init=... option)

(The initramfs /init itself can be systemd, though most distros have
it as just a shell script.)

Try the boot options loglevel=6, systemd.log_level=debug, or init=/bin/sh.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>