[systemd-devel] Slow startup of systemd-journal on BTRFS

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Jun 11 17:40:00 PDT 2014

On Jun 11, 2014, at 3:28 PM, Goffredo Baroncelli <kreijack at libero.it> wrote:

> If someone is able to suggest me how FRAGMENT the log file, I can try to collect more scientific data.

So long as you're not using compression, filefrag will show you fragments of systemd-journald journals. I can vouch for the behavior you experience without xattr +C or autodefrag, but further it also causes much slowness when reading journal contents. LIke if I want to search all boots for a particular error message to see how far back it started, this takes quite a bit longer than on other file systems. So far I'm not experiencing this problem with autodefrag or any other negative side effects, but my understanding is this code is still in flux.

Since the journals have their own checksumming I'm not overly concerned about setting xattr +C.

Chris Murphy