[systemd-devel] new user/group population on bootup

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Jun 15 14:59:51 PDT 2014

On Sat, 14.06.14 18:34, luigi (luigide at yandex.com) wrote:

> hi.
>
> i think it will be better that system users with fixed uid/guid shoud be imposed by upstream.
>
> Do not allow for flexibility for distros in order to make them stable and standardized.

THis can never work, as the UID/GID space is too small for this, in
particular the system user range, which is generally limited to 998
UIDs/GIDs. As we certainly have more packages that need their own system
users than that there's no way besides dynamic UID/GID allocation to
make the best of the limited range.

Of course, it would be great if Linux could use UUIDs for identifying
users, since that is a nicely unmanaged namespace, where no dynamic or
central allocation would be necessary, and some other popular OS has
done that, but well, we have to work with what we got...