[systemd-devel] Slow startup of systemd-journal on BTRFS

Kai Krakow hurikhan77 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 22:21:00 PDT 2014

Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> schrieb:

> Kai Krakow posted on Tue, 17 Jun 2014 23:02:14 +0200 as excerpted:
>
>>  I'm pretty sure it really
>> doesn't matter if your 500G image file is split across 10000 extents -
>> as long as at least chunks of extents are kept together and rebuilt as
>> one extent.
>
> It's worth noting that in btrfs terms, "chunk" has a specific meaning.
> Btrfs allocates "chunks" from free space, 1 GiB at a time for data
> chunks, 256 MiB at a time for metadata.[1]  And that btrfs-specific
> meaning does tend to distort your example case, somewhat, tho I expect
> most folks understand what you mean.  The problem is that we're running
> out of generic terms that mean "chunk-like" and are thus experiencing
> namespace collision!

Well, should I call that dingbat a hunk which are lumps of chunks? ;-)

Of course I meant "chunk" being a contiguous group of "blocks" in a file,
not a "chunk" in sense of btrfs specific terms of being an "allocation
group". I think it's clear we are out of words as you point out - so I hope
everyone got that right because I tried to "redefine" it for my purpose by
writing "chunks of extents"...

--
Replies to list only preferred.