[systemd-devel] Linking user-session services to a systemd-logind session

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jun 20 11:17:01 PDT 2014

On Thu, 19.06.14 16:21, Elias Probst (mail at eliasprobst.eu) wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm working on getting (at least the basics for now) ready to run a KF5
> based Plasma Workspace session completely based on systemd user-session
> services to get rid of the legacy cruft shell-based "startkde" script
> and get to use all the nice things systemd offers.

Note that the session stuff isn't complete yet. We kinda wait for kdbus
there, to make it complete, and kdbus is currently stalling on
memfd. And memfd is currently on its way in...

> I'm currently stuck trying to make 'ksmserver' (Plasma's session
> management server) the owner of the current session using
> Session.TakeControl(), as user-session services aren't part of a
> session.

TakeControl is really something for display servers like X11, not for
app or desktop code. X11 has aleady been updated to use it, you should
not have to call it unless you implement your own display server.