[systemd-devel] mdns support to networkd

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 04:16:07 PDT 2014

On 24/06/14 07:15, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> _minimal have bugs and very ugly code.
> For example it send multicast only via first interface that up.

Are you confusing libnss_mdns*_minimal.so (which refuse to resolve names
outside .local and addresses outside the link-local range) with
./configure --enable-legacy (which uses a built-in mini-mDNS stack
instead of relying on Avahi)?

Whether to compile as mdns*_minimal is determined by ENABLE_MINIMAL,
whereas the choice of Avahi, legacy or "Avahi if available, else legacy"
is determined by ENABLE_AVAHI and ENABLE_LEGACY.

The minimal configuration is good, the legacy configuration is (in
general) not. The Debian packages that I maintain are compiled without
legacy support, include all (minimal, non-minimal)x(IPv4, IPv6, both)
builds, but only enable the IPv4 minimal build by default in new
installations: I believe that matches upstream recommendations.