[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] man/systemctl.xml src/systemctl

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jun 26 10:08:05 PDT 2014

On Wed, 25.06.14 14:43, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek (zbyszek at in.waw.pl) wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 03:32:12AM -0700, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >  man/systemctl.xml         |   17 +++++++++++++++++
> >  src/systemctl/systemctl.c |   26 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >  2 files changed, 43 insertions(+)

> > +
> > +          <listitem>
> > +            <para>Checks whether the system is running. This returns
> > +            success when the system is fully up and running, meaning
> > +            not in startup, shutdown or maintainance mode. Failure is
> > +            returned otherwise. In addition, the current state is
> > +            printed in a short string to standard output. Use
> > +            <option>--quiet</option> to suppress output of this state
> > +            string.</para>
> > +          </listitem>
> > +        </varlistentry>
> "is-system-running" is very generic, without reading the documentation
> I would guess this to include the bootup phase. Maybe it should be renamed
> to something like "is-bootup-finished" or something.

I tried to keep this close to the low-level state enum, that we also
show in "systemctl list-machines" or "systemctl status" without
args. The idea is that the bahaviour of this new systemctl verb mirrors
nicely the already existing "is-enabled" and "is-active" which also map
directly to their respective low-level state enums...

Makes sense?