[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] 14 commits - configure.ac Makefile.am Makefile-man.am man/coredump.conf.xml src/core src/journal src/shared

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jun 27 06:22:50 PDT 2014

On Wed, 25.06.14 22:49, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek (zbyszek at kemper.freedesktop.org) wrote:

> +      <varlistentry>
> +
> +        <listitem><para>Controls the type of compression for external
> +        storage. One of <literal>xz</literal> or
> +        </listitem>
> +      </varlistentry>
> +
> +      <varlistentry>
> +
> +        <listitem><para>Controls the level of compression for external
> +        storage. An integer between 0 and 9. See
> +        <citerefentry><refentrytitle>xz</refentrytitle><manvolnum>1</manvolnum></citerefentry>
> +        for more details.</para></listitem>
> +      </varlistentry>

Hmm. Do we really want CompressionLevel= as an integer here? It sounds
awfully low-level and implementation-detailish to me. I#d rather keep
this as close and simple as the compression settings in journald.conf:
i.e. a single boolean Compress=, and that's it. The fact that XZ is
mostly an implementation detail I think, and compression levels should
just be chosen right.

Zbigniew, would you be terribly disappointed if I simplify this and
bring this more in line with journald.conf?