[systemd-devel] How to build systemd with statically linking

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Mar 1 10:11:57 PST 2014

On Sat, 01.03.14 17:46, Ȳ�翵 (j-zero.hwang at samsung.com) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've tried to build systemd(v43) with statically linking.
>
> I revised Makefile.am and spec file but it was not built statically.

We do not support static linking. We probably should turn this off
entirely in the build system if there is a way, to make sure people get
a clean error.

The systemd tree makes use of NSS and even includes an NSS module. That
kind of stuff is inherently dynamic in nature, and can never be done
statically. Hence we simply do not support that. Only the most trivial
libraries actually support it.