[systemd-devel] binding tmpfiles.d to unit startup

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sat Mar 1 13:01:06 PST 2014

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org>
wrote:

> RuntimeDirectory=/run/mydaemon
> PersistentStateDirectory=/var/lib/mydaemon

Btw, see also this thread:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/server/2014-February/000843.html

Putting these together (and how about we just go ahead and mandate /run
and /var/lib), we could have something like:

RuntimeDirectory=yes

That would auto-instantiate /run/$SYSTEMD_UNIT_NAME.

Similarly,
PersistentStateDirectory=yes
would give you /var/lib/$SYSTEMD_UNIT_NAME

Notably, this would help administrators move away from the package
being the central naming unit and more towards systemd being the basis
for names.

(It is confusing that one has to deal with package names, systemd unit
names, and process names, which can all be the same, closely related,
or wildly different)