[systemd-devel] How to build systemd with statically linking

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Mar 2 13:46:43 PST 2014

On Sun, 02.03.14 12:05, Samuli Suominen (ssuominen at gentoo.org) wrote:

> > Why would you do something like that? That's just broken.
> >
> > Also the API between udevd and libudev is not stable, you should never
> > mix different implementations.
> >
> > Lennart
> >

> Well, believe it or not, there are people using udev with alternate
> service managers
> like runit or openrc with a crypted / and a sep. /usr, without initramfs
> And such an setup takes quite a knowledge to setup, so the same people
> capable
> of doing that, are well aware of the pitfall of mandatory recompile of
> the static
> binaries in case of an upgrade
> I've talked about this with cryptsetup upstream ever since the
> configure.ac snippet
> was added to systemd, and even cryptsetup upstream *wants* to support such
> configuration and sees no reason to remove the support for it
> As in, their configure.ac is specifically designed to support building
> --enable-static-binaries,
> or similar
> Same goes for LVM2
> Ie. their configure.ac's have calls to `pkg-config --static --libs
> libudev $any other package required`
> and result ends up in vars like CRYPTSETUP_STATIC_LIBS= or LVM2_STATIC_LIBS=
>
> So, if it's possible, even with some hackery, someone will for sure do it :)

Well, if the answer to "why would you do that" is simply "because we
can", then I really don't see why we should bother supporting something
like that. It's so pointless...

But anyway, this is Free Software, so you are welcome to do with it
whatever you want, just know that we think this is really non-sensical
and don't expect us to support this upstream.