[systemd-devel] Per session systemd?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 3 06:58:55 PST 2014

On Mon, 03.03.14 15:30, Yuxuan Shui (yshuiv7 at gmail.com) wrote:

Heya,

> That's why I'm writing this mail. I want to point out the reason
> behind use systemd as a session manager, so you will probably
> understand why I want to do this and help me. Since I can't get this
> done by myself with my limited systemd knowledge.

You should be able to place your WM in a systemd user service. Then,
when you log in, do something like this:

  systemctl import-environment DISPLAY XAUTHORITY
  systemctl start my-wm.service

The first command will upload the $DISPLAY variable into the systemd
user instance. The second instance will then spawn the WM.