[systemd-devel] StartupFinished signal is not sent on 210

Umut Tezduyar umut at tezduyar.com
Tue Mar 4 12:40:18 PST 2014

Hi

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 8:55 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 04.03.14 14:12, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog (umut.tezduyar at axis.com) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have noticed systemd doesn't generate the StartupFinished dbus signal on 210 (probably 209 too). The code tells me we are generating the signal on all private connection and on api bus if we have client connected. "if we have client connected" statement is not clear to me. Have we change the behavior or is this a bug?
>>
>> I tried to make a private connection and tried to receive the signal with
>> $> busctl --address="unix:path=/run/systemd/private" monitor
>> But that didn't work.
>>
>> To compare 208 and 210, I pretty much followed steps @ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingDBus and by using
>> $> dbus-monitor "type=signal,sender='org.freedesktop.systemd1'" --system
>
> You have to invoke "Subscribe()" first on the manager bus, to get
> something. We only send out the messages as long as at least one living
> client has issued this call.

Don't you think this is something worth mentioning in the NEWS since
we were able to retrieve signals without subscribing to them on 208.
Excuse me if it is documented somewhere and I missed it.

> (Note that on normal desktops logind issues the call, so you might get
> away with not invoking it, but this will break in early boot and on
> systems without logind)

We are embedded system without session bus (or logind). We listen on
this signal and translate it to our internal event system.