[systemd-devel] Pid 1/ systemd scope was Re: Talks comparing systemd and launchd.

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 09:21:49 PST 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 5:42 PM, David Timothy Strauss
<david at davidstrauss.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 2:57 PM, David Farning <dfarning at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now my philosophical sticking point is how big pid1 should be to do
>> what it needs to do. Practically, I am trying to understand where
>> those boundaries should be and how to communicate that information.
>
> A large amount of systemd's code does not run in PID 1. Are you
> referring to systemd's code or PID 1 in particular?

This is what I am looking at now. The dynamic nature of modern systems
renders legacy init systems obsolete. The model of Solaris' Service
Management Facility seems more appropriate runninig as PID1 seems more
appropriate. Initialization becomes a phases in the SMF life cycle.

This leads to a couple of specific questions:
1. What (how much code) must run as PID1 to make this possible?
2 What helpers, such as udev and systemdctl must be included to make
this possible?
3. How tightly must these helpers be bound to the part of systemd
running as PID1?

Again. I am not judging... just trying to understand the scope so I
can help communicate that scope as necessary.