[systemd-devel] synchronizing user service

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 15:20:41 PDT 2014

On 3/10/14, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 07.03.14 20:45, Alec Leamas (leamas.alec at gmail.com) wrote:
>

>> Sorry for not being clear. The priob

[cut]

>> So the question is: is there any "good" way for a non-systemd user
>> service to to things that systemd services does, like waiting on a
>> socket or somehow become part  of the ordering scheme?
>
> I really don't grok this?
>
> Do you have a system systemd service and a non-systemd session service?
Yup

> Or do you have a user systemd service and a non-systemd session service?
No

> The former should a non-issue, as pointed above, as you can just order
> your system systemd service before systemd-user-session.service. Since
> user sessions are only started after that barrier you don't have to
> synchronize for anything else...

Now, it was some time i really stumbled into this together with other
lirc users.. But it really was (is?) the case that the session service
was started ahead of the system, systemd service. Or to be more
precise, before that service had created it's pipe. A shellscript
polling for the pipe during startup solved it, but left a bad taste in
the mouth.

As I said, I have walked around the problem using socket activation.
So this discussion is somewhat academic. But I''m still a little
curious. And confused, although on a higher level. ;)

--alec