[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] Discoverable Partitions Spec

Goffredo Baroncelli kreijack at libero.it
Mon Mar 10 15:44:37 PDT 2014

On 03/10/2014 09:21 PM, Chris Mason wrote:
> On 03/10/2014 04:02 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> On Mon, 10.03.14 19:34, Goffredo Baroncelli (kreijack at libero.it) wrote:
[...]
>> I am pretty sure automatic discovery of mount points should not cover
>> the usecase where people install multiple distributions into the same
>> btrfs volume. THe automatic logic should cover the simple cases only,
>> and it sounds way over the top to support installing multiple OSes into
>> the same btrfs... I mean, people can do that, if they want to, they just
>> have to write a proper fstab, which I think is not too much too ask...
>
> Thinking more about this, using the UUIDs does make it harder for the
> admin to roll back and forth between snapshots. This is similar to
> the multiple install idea, but the goal would be easily jumping back
> to the old one if an update failed.
>
> I'm not against anything that makes us more flexible here, just
> trying to nail down the use case a little bit more.>

We can store the mount point in a xattr. Also we can store the snapshots relation (parent/child or real/rollback) in a xattr. During the boot a "systemd-btrfs-fstab-generator" could generate on the fly the right mounts list.

> -chris
>
> --

gpg @keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli (kreijackATinwind.it>
Key fingerprint BBF5 1610 0B64 DAC6 5F7D  17B2 0EDA 9B37 8B82 E0B5