[systemd-devel] systemd 211 journal getting created with different permissions

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 19:21:55 PDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 3:46 AM, Greg KH <gregkh at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With systemd 211, a new journal file is getting created with permissions
> of root:root instead of root:systemd-journal like previously (210 and
> prior).
>
> I looked at the git log and can't see anything obvious that would have
> caused this.
>
> Is this intentional?  Or something on my end with my system's
> configuration?

Normally the journal files just inherit the group of /var/log/journal,
which has the setgid bit (and the correct group) set by
/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/systemd.conf.

If you ran `make install`, however, it would chown /var/log/journal to
0:0 until the next time systemd-tmpfiles ran.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>