[systemd-devel] Systemd API for process management

Vetoshkin Nikita nikita.vetoshkin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 23:51:36 PDT 2014

Hi there!
I'm exploring possibility to use systemd as process manager / "containizer"
for Apache Mesos (http://mesos.apache.org). At the moment I'm trying to use
systemctl/systemd-run to implement following:
* Start process with specified restrictions (It works wih systemd 211)
* Stop process - systemctl stop/ kill works too.
* Read process status - systemctl lacks robot readable output of process
status.
* Reap process status:
  * there is "systemctl reset-failed" - but it reaps all failed units
  * services exited with 0 exit code are gone completely (maybe it's not an
issue)
* Read container (cgroup) resource usage - it is possible to do that
manually, but I think it could be great to have an API.
* Start processes in --user systemd instance
  When I call systemd-run --user env I get "Failed to create message:
Input/output error", digging with strace shows that dbus starts service
"/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.service" which
has Exec=/bin/false inside. I'm using Fedora 20 with systemd-211 directly
from koji.

I'd appreciate any guides, hints, suggestions. Thanks!

----
Nikita