[systemd-devel] Removing BindsTo with drop-in config

John Lane systemd at jelmail.com
Thu Mar 27 02:36:59 PDT 2014

I need to undo the effect of "BindsTo" in a unit and have tried to use a
drop-in config with it set to empty (BindsTo=) but it doesn't appear to
have any effect.

I have reloaded the config and the drop-in does appear in the status of
the relevant unit. The drop-in contains two lines:

[Unit]
BindsTo=

Saved to "/etc/systemd/system/netctl at .service.d/nobind.conf"
To affect unit "/etc/systemd/system/netctl\@static.service"

ArchLinux with systemd 208.
systemd 208
+PAM -LIBWRAP -AUDIT -SELINUX -IMA -SYSVINIT +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +ACL +XZ
Linux testcontainer 3.13.7-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 24 20:06:08 CET
2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have read the man page and can see that, at 209, text was added that
explained that setting to an empty value "resets", which means that
previous assignments are ignored. However, it isn't mentioned in the
description of BindsTo so I guess it doesn't work for that setting.

Should this work? If so, what am I doing wrong ?
If not, is there another way to achieve this (without editing the unit,
which I have no control over).

Thanks,
John