[systemd-devel] systemd v212 build error

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Mar 28 06:27:21 PDT 2014

Am 28.03.2014 12:41, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> Side note: we might want to revisit how old kernels we want to
> support. Especially for building, we may want to just require
> something a bit more recent (maybe 3.10 or 3.12)?

The kernel version during build is not an issue. Kernel headers are
never included in userspace applications during build (except for
horribly broken applications). In fact, at least on Arch, the kernel
headers are not even installed during the build process.

What this is about is the kernel's userspace API headers which are
extracted from the kernel source and then used to build the C library.
Upgrading the kernel will not change those. You only change those
headers when you update or rebuild your toolchain. On Arch, we currently
use headers from 3.13 by the way.

Basically, what you are saying is that you want to drop support for
building systemd with a toolchain generated from anything older than
3.10 or 3.12. Personally, I wouldn't care, but others might disagree.