[systemd-devel] Mounting during boot fails with systemd

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon May 5 09:15:05 PDT 2014

I am trying to get systemd to work with an LFS system (systemd-212).

When I try to boot, all the partitions, including swap, in fstab time out.

# file system  mount-point  type     options             dump  fsck
#                                                              order

/dev/sda6      /            ext4     defaults            1     1
UUID=e53dcf65-8f7d-4c61-9b57-1d7a50cf1b36  /boot        ext2
defaults            1     2
#/dev/sda2      /boot        ext2     defaults            1     2
/dev/sda4      /home        ext4     defaults            1     2
/dev/sda8      /usr/src     ext4     defaults            1     2
/dev/sda5      swap         swap     pri=1               0     0
proc           /proc        proc     nosuid,noexec,nodev 0     0
sysfs          /sys         sysfs    nosuid,noexec,nodev 0     0
devpts         /dev/pts     devpts   gid=5,mode=620      0     0
tmpfs          /run         tmpfs    defaults            0     0
devtmpfs       /dev         devtmpfs mode=0755,nosuid    0     0

The root fs is mounted and after going into maintenance mode swapon -a
and mount work fine.

I've tried devices, UUIDs, and LABELs.  Nothing seems to work.

The system does have a UEFI type bios, but I blew away Windows
completely, so I don't have an EFI System Partition.

I also tried renaming systemd-gpt-auto-generator and
systemd-efi-boot-generator but that didn't change the behavior.

The above fstab works perfectly in a System V environment.  It has also
worked in a qemu environment with systemd.

How do I debug this?

   -- Bruce Dubbs
      linuxfromscratch.org