[systemd-devel] timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu May 15 15:37:48 PDT 2014

On Thu, 15.05.14 15:54, Chris Murphy (lists at colorremedies.com) wrote:

> The udev rule right now is asking if all Btrfs member devices are
> present and it sounds like that answer is no with a missing device; so
> a mount isn't even attempted by systemd rather than attempting a
> degraded mount specifically for the root=UUID device(s).

Yes, correct.

And my suspicion is that if any more complex logic than this shall take
place, then this should probably be managed by some kind of storage
daemon still to be written, not udev. udev doesn't do timeouts, and has
no clue about raid arrays. If things get this complex there really needs
to be some other component in place that can handle this...

> What is parsing the boot parameters ro, root=, and rootflags=? Are
> those recognized by the kernel or systemd?

When an initrd is used it is the initrd, otherwise the kernel itself.