[systemd-devel] cryptsetup vs. swapon/fsck (some kind of race condition)

Andy Kittner andy.kittner at gmail.com
Sun May 18 15:17:14 PDT 2014

On 16/05/14 16:31, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 16.05.14 03:20, Andy Kittner (andy.kittner at gmail.com) wrote:
> "Minimal" configurations? Are you kidding?
>
> If you want something "minimal", then just use devtmpfs, and don't
> involve userspace at all in creating device nodes. This is not about
> being "minimal" or not, this is about actually getting basic things
> right...
With "minimal" I was thinking more of not wanting udev in some
situations, since the code in question explicitly mentions udev
synchronisation.
Sorry, that admittedly wasn't clear from the context I wrote it in.

As for devtmpfs itself, I don't know a situation where *I* wouldn't want
it, of the top of my head, but the world is big and different people have
different needs and IMHO it's up to the maintainers of each project
whether or not they want to support those needs, or if they consider
them not relevant enough to be worth that effort. That is all I was
trying to say with this.

> Anyway, systemd is not compatible with Gentoo's way of doing LVM/DM,
> sorry. Please file a bug against Gentoo.
Um, the code in question is in upstream libdm, it has nothing to do with
gentoo at all.

Anyway, to bring this thread to a conclusion, since you don't consider
this to be a dependency issue on systemd's side I just reported the
issue on the LVM list, so let's see what they think about it.

Regards,
Andy