[systemd-devel] simple way to crash systemd via a dangling symlink

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu May 22 01:20:23 PDT 2014

On Thu, 27.03.14 05:18, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:

> 2/ If a socket is in such a state, we probably shouldn't process
> incoming requests and try to start the service
> 3/ Should we stop the socket if the Load state is "error"

So far we kept the load state and the active state quite separate, but
refuised some active transitions when we were in "error" load state. I'd
like to keep it that way really.

However, with the code I just commited, the first time we try to
actviate something, and figure out that it won't work, we will put the
socket into failure mode, and hence not try again.

The benfit of this scheme is that making a configuration error doesn't
mean everything is immediately broken, but we try to continue for as
long as possible until we really can't anymore.

I hope that makes sense...