[systemd-devel] Archlinux setup WLAN-Problems

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Sat May 31 08:42:28 PDT 2014

rc.conf had many things, some of them not belonging to the boot scripts. It
used to list active netcfg profiles once, later got simplified to
configuring one Ethernet interface (before sysvinit was removed entirely).
Was a rather bad place for wireless settings though – after all, WiFi
networks can come and go many times after boot.

systemd didn't have any network configuration until the latest release,
which brings systemd-networkd. But, for the huge majority of wireless
networks, plain dhclient or dhcpcd would work as well.

However, you need to pair them with wpa_supplicant to actually find a WiFi
AP before an IP address can be assigned at all.

Instead of configuring these parts manually, I suggest trying out
NetworkManager, connman, wicd, or Arch's netctl – all of which can connect
to a wired/wireless network and set up everything at once.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>