[systemd-devel] [question] networkd: Any support for hooks?

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Tue Nov 4 10:07:40 PST 2014

On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 08:36:10AM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 01.10.14 21:36, Cameron Norman (camerontnorman at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > ifupdown [1], NetworkManager, and WICD all support hooks for when a
> > network interface is configured or deconfigured (before and after
> > these actions).
> >
> > Are there any plans to support something along these lines? If so,
> > what will that look like?
> >
> > If there are no plans, how do networkd's developers feel about adding
> > the feature (will not merge, or will accept patches, etc.) ?
>
> Can you be more specific what precisely you intend to hook in there?
> I'd really prefer if we could find different solutions for the common
> usecases.

  Example: I'd like to add interface to proper firewalld "zone".
Ideally it could be done by networkd itself (it just one dbus call:
addInterface(in  s zone, in  s interface, …) based on new Zone=string
setting in .netdev file.
  Hook can determine which zone interface should belong to and call
firewall-cmd --zone=<zone> --add-interface=<interface>

--
Tomasz Torcz               "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl    wagon filled with backup tapes." -- Jim Gray