[systemd-devel] Udev rules hardware database

Patrick Häcker pat_h at web.de
Wed Nov 5 07:55:52 PST 2014

Dear all,

sorry if this list is not the correct one for my post. In this case please
just point me to the correct list.

I you want to have permanent power saving activated for your devices, the
recommended way is to use udev (e.g.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_saving#USB_autosuspend). Some
devices do not work with active power saving, which is the reason why it's
not activated by default. To get it working anyway, users should activated it
for all devices and create their own blacklists.

I did exactly that and had to copy blacklists to multiple computers when
moving my devices around. As this should be distribution agnostic, I wonder
if there are upstream blacklists or whitelists to take care of this problem.

A power save whitelist would be useful, as distributions could start
activating power saving for theses devices immediately. A power save
blacklist would be useful as users could try to activate power saving for all
devices and if their problematic hardware is already on the blacklist,
everything works and they can save even more power as with the whitelist.

In the long run there could even be a small "please test your hardware" tool,
where the power saving is activated for, e.g., your mouse. You then have to
click to confirm that it is working. Otherwise power saving gets deactivated
after a timeout, so you can use your mouse again. This result could then be
automatically uploaded (after user confirmation) and added to the
blacklist/whitelist.

So I have several questions:
- Is there already something like this?
- If not, is udev the correct piece in the Linux stack to put this?
- What is the general way to contribute udev rules?
- Where is it documented?

Kind regards
Patrick