[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] units/basic.target units/poweroff.target units/reboot.target

Patrick Häcker pat_h at web.de
Thu Nov 6 03:45:25 PST 2014

> > However, this one appears bogus to me. Is there any such software
> > around that really does this? And if so, this really appears weird to
> > me to support. Delaying shutdown for more than 30min is just wrong.
> Isn't this what the various "download updates and reboot" gnome-y
> things are doing?
At least unattended-upgrades from Debian/Ubuntu/... can be configured to
install updates on shutdown (without any special mode or something). And,
yes, this can run for more than 30 minutes, which I could already observe in
its default mode (installing during normal system activities), so I see no
reason why this should not happen when configured to install during shutdown.
The reason is, that unattended-upgrades can basically update the whole
distribution to the next version, which naturally can take a lot of time.

It's questionable if this is a sane setup, but I can think of setups where
this might be useful, e.g. having two identically configured servers for
redundancy reasons where one server would be enough. Then it might make sense
to update one system during shutdown while the other one takes over. This has
the advantage, that normally running servers either have the old or the new
state, but never some intermediate state during the update. The shutdown time
does not really matter in this case and a watchdog killing the system
wouldn't be welcome. But all in all this seems like an exotic use case.

Kind regards
Patrick