[systemd-devel] So how am I supposed to put together my Linux system?

Harald Hoyer harald.hoyer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 07:02:46 PST 2014

On 09.09.2014 17:01, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Tobias Hunger wrote on 05/09/14 19:34:
>> Any place that you would care to recomend? It would suck to have each
>> distro put kernels somewhere else.
>
> Good question.
>
> On Mageia and Fedora (at least originally, not sure if it's changed
> recently), the modules are in:
>
> /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/
>
> tree.
>

> These days this should of course be:
>
> /usr/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/
>

> The actual modules are stored in a:
>
> /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/
>
> subfolder.
>

> If there are no compelling reasons to pick otherwise, we could use:
>
> /usr/lib/kernel/<kernel-version>/
>
> tree.
>
> Inside there would be a:
>
> /usr/lib/kernel/<kernel-version>/modules/
>
> folder containing the actual modules (same as
> /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/)
>

> For compatibility, the /lib/modules/<kernel-version> could be symlinked
> to /usr/lib/kernel/<kernel-version> and a simple "modules -> kernel"
> symlink shipped inside the /usr/lib/kernel/<kernel-version>/ folder. All
> old paths would work in that case.
>

> The kernel itself could then simply be:
>
> /usr/lib/kernel/<kernel-version>/vmlinuz
>

> Not sure if this is just completely made up in my head or if this is how
> others have envisioned it also. I don't think any of the spec documents
> talked about the actual filesystem layout of the actual kernel
> files/modules.
>

> Cheers
>
> Col

Hmm, those symlinks would look ugly, but of course
/usr/lib/kernel/<kernel-version> would be the sane name.

Anyway, as a first step, I would put just put the kernel, System.map, config
and any precompiled initrd in the modules directory:

# ls /lib/modules/3.18.0-0.rc0.git9.2.fc22.1.x86_64/
System.map
config
initrd
vmlinuz