[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] units/basic.target units/poweroff.target units/reboot.target

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Nov 6 08:59:45 PST 2014

Simon McVittie wrote on 06/11/14 15:21:
> On 06/11/14 14:16, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>> > What matters is how it is all arranged:
>> >
>> > - if there's a job that does stuff, and then calls reboot or shutdown
>> > - a hook into the shutdown or reboot target does some work
> unattended-upgrades is currently the latter: the user shuts down (or is
> reminded to shut down by an update notification), and
> unattended-upgrades runs as a side-effect.
>
> This is an optional (non-default) configuration of an optional package,
> not core Debian/Ubuntu functionality; so it doesn't necessarily have to
> be like this forever, it could be modified to tell systemd "I'm still
> shutting down, continue to wait" periodically, it could be modified to
> use "reboot into a special mode, install, then reboot again" logic under
> systemd if that's something you already have, and, worst-case, it could
> install a drop-in to override the timeout.

Was there not talk of teaching the sd-notify protocol the ability to
tell systemd that "I'm still alive and doing stuff - so please don't
kill me"?

A sort of keep-alive (or keep-me-in-this-state-please) ping.

Not sure if that ever came to pass but I remember seeing a discussion
kicking around the list about this.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie