[systemd-devel] Unexpecte behavior for timer with OnActiveSec

Paassen, Hiram van Hiram.van.Paassen at mastervolt.com
Fri Nov 7 00:56:49 PST 2014

Hi,

We need to switch to a different target after 30 min of starting that target. Switching happens with isolate.
So we have a timer with OnActiveSec=30min witch starts a service that calls systemctl isolate <other.target>

This works like a charm... the first time the target is activated. The second time we start that target nothing happens after 30 min.

After some manual testing I can conclude that a timer with OnActiveSec set will stay in elapsed state even after the timer has been restarted or stopped and then started. This is not what I expect. Also there seems to be no way to reset it to the waiting/running state except for the following procedure:

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart timer.timer

Is this expected behavior or a bug?

Best regards,

Hiram van Paassen

Power Products, LLC Email Notice

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL.
This email is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this email is not an intended recipient, you have received this email in error and any review, dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by return mail and permanently delete the copy you received.

Thank you.