[systemd-devel] Tagging NVIDIA graphics devices (with proprietary drivers) as "master-of-seat"

Laércio de Sousa laerciosousa at sme-mogidascruzes.sp.gov.br
Fri Nov 7 05:41:31 PST 2014

Hi there!

For anyone interested in tagging NVIDIA graphics devices with proprietary
drivers as "master-of-seat" for use with logind, I suggest the following
udev rule:

SUBSYSTEM=="drm", KERNEL=="card[0-9]*", ATTRS{vendor}=="0x10de",
DRIVERS=="nvidia", TAG+="master-of-seat"

If no /dev/dri/card* kernel devices are available in the system (e.g. if
linux drm module is not loaded), the following alternative works, too:

SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTRS{vendor}=="0x10de", DRIVER=="nvidia", TAG+="seat",
TAG+="master-of-seat"

NOTE: These rules can be adapted for AMD proprietary drivers. Just replace
"0x10de" with "0x1002" and "nvidia" with "fglrx".

I don't know if there's any upstream interest in shipping these rules with
systemd (I guess not), but at least one downstream (Ubuntu) already ships
them (with NVIDIA/AMD driver packages). I've already posted these rules in
NVIDIA Developer Forums.

Hope it may be useful.
--
*Laércio de Sousa*