[systemd-devel] Udev rules hardware database

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Nov 7 08:46:27 PST 2014

On Fri, 07.11.14 13:07, Oliver Neukum (oneukum at suse.de) wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-11-07 at 12:55 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Fri, 07.11.14 09:23, Oliver Neukum (oneukum at suse.de) wrote:
>
> > > It is inconsistent. That is at least partially to the inability to find
> > > general rules.
> >
> > So what would you recommend we do?
> >
> > Experiment with turning auto-suspend on by default and then start
> > building a blacklist if we get reports that things stop working?
>
> No. I suggest giving administrators (users) a really easy way
> to enable autosuspend and gather the results.
> That isn't good. We've tried for years to come up with something
> better.

Well, opt-in for this will never work to get a good dataset.

I figure if we want this to really happen, then we should turn on
autosuspend globally early in the cycle of fedora rawhide, and then
collect as much data as we can during testing, and then turn if off
before the release if it happens to be too bad.

I figure doing this would require some buy-in from FESCO first
though. Given the bureaucracy for that this would need a champion
though who's willing to do that work.