[systemd-devel] udevd and "quiet"

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Nov 10 02:29:02 PST 2014

Colin Guthrie wrote on 10/11/14 10:11:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure how long this has been the case, but in a dracut initrd that is
> NOT using systemd, udevd will print out "starting version 217" even when
> "quiet" is used on the command line.
>
> This isn't ideal as it should be mostly silent when quiet is used and
> indeed this is the only output from the initrd.
>
> So question is, what is the correct fix.
>
> I don't really like the idea of udevd parsing "quiet" directly as this
> should really only apply to pid1.
>
> So perhaps dracut (as PID1 at that stage) should parse the "quiet"
> command line and set SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=warning (or err?) before starting
> udevd (it doesn't seem that udevd takes any --log-level= (and friends)
> arguments, so the environment seems the only way).
>
> Is this the right approach or am I maybe missing something?

Hmm, this won't work it seems anyway, as right after
log_parse_enviornment() and log_open() there is a call to:

log_set_max_level(udev_get_log_priority(udev));

So it seems that an evnironment parsing is very swiftly overridden -
which makes env parsing kinda pointless IMO.

Any thoughts?

CC'ing Tom as he changed the default log level to INFO recently in
2004d23a0fcaa6e74631057a2ff75594a038d86e which is likely why I'm seeing
the bubble up now...

Col

--

Colin Guthrie