[systemd-devel] generator logging during daemon-reload

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Nov 10 10:48:12 PST 2014

On Mon, 10.11.14 17:38, Alexandre Detiste (alexandre.detiste at gmail.com) wrote:

> Le lundi 10 novembre 2014, 14:32:49 Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> > > I know that generators should log to /dev/kmsg during early boot.
> >
> > Correct!
>
> Yes, but then the log appears as a ugly big chunck without the
> timestamp & host on the left;

journalctl should pretty much generate the same output for userspace
messages written to /dev/kmsg then to those passed directly to journald.

> except the first line. Is it ok to reopen /dev/ksmg for each line
> writen to avoid this ?

Not sure I follow?

> So we should also avoid sending mail with /usr/sbin/sendmail , for example ?

Yes, that's really not an OK thing to do. /usr/sbin/sendmail might
talk to a local service for delivering the mail, as well as syslog
again for its own logging needs.