[systemd-devel] Shutdown problems

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Nov 10 11:37:37 PST 2014

On Sat, 08.11.14 11:16, Nikolaus Rath (Nikolaus at rath.org) wrote:

> > Please boot with "systemd.log_level=debug", then make the machine hang
> > and check what the last things in the logs say. Maybe then paste that
> > somewhere online and post the URL for that here, so that we can have a
> > look.
>
> Here's the output (obtained by changing log level and remounting earlier
> in the debug.sh script):
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11545826/shutdown.log
>
> Thanks for your help!

Hmm the logs show that systemd pretty much completed its
shutdown. After the message "Cannot finalize remaining DM devices,
continuing." the only thing that still runs is the shutdown hooks you
used to generate this log, plus either a jump back into your initrd
(if your initrd supports that) or the reboot() system call.

If the latter hangs then it's a kernel bug.

Please check if there are any other scripts in
/lib/systemd/system-shutdown/ that might be at fault here.

Please check if your initrd is one of those which support jumping back
into the initrd on shutdown. For that check if /run/initramfs/shutdown
exists during runtime and is executable. If so, it's probably an
initrd problem, please file a bug against your initrd implementation.

You appear to be using LVM, I wouldn't be surprised if LVM is broken
here, but I cannot help you debugging this, please contact the LVM
maintainers in this case.