[systemd-devel] Cannot use systemctl after heavy swapping

Jan Janssen medhefgo at web.de
Fri Nov 14 06:20:23 PST 2014

Hi,

I think there might be something wrong with how the rate limiting works
in manager.c. Just recently, firefox went nuts and got the whole system
swapping like crazy. After manual OOM killing, the system is back to
normal, but I can't seem to do any service management with systemctl
afterwards.

A simple "sudo systemctl start systemd-timedated.service" will hang
forever. While the journal keeps getting this message about every second:
     systemd[1]: Looping too fast. Throttling execution a little.
while other systemctl actions tend to time out (status, for example).

Interestingly, if I don't use sudo (and instead rely on polkit),
everything seems to work as expected and I can get things started.

This is all on systemd 217 on up-to-date Arch.

Jan