[systemd-devel] Compatibility between D-Bus and kdbus

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Tue Nov 25 08:19:41 PST 2014

On Mon, 24.11.14 18:40, Thiago Macieira (thiago at kde.org) wrote:

> Another thought that comes to mind: should we reserve the entire highest bit
> in connection IDs for broadcasts? It would allow for the existence of
> multicast groups in the future.

I discussed this quickly with the kdbus guys, and while none of us was
thrilled about the posibility of introducing such a concept we all
agreed that if it should be introduced one day it really should be
part of the well-known names concept, not the unique names
concept. Meaning: you'd put a label on a group, and join the group by
the label then, rather than via numeric ids...

In general, numeric ids are about being automatic, and well-known
names are about discoverability. But mcast memberships should never be
automatic, but only about discoverability, hence using unique ids for
identifying them sounds wrong.

Hope that makes sense.