[systemd-devel] Scope units get SIGKILL when stopped, not SIGTERM

Michael Chapman mike at very.puzzling.org
Tue Nov 25 16:55:46 PST 2014

Hello,

When I stop a scope unit, it looks like all processes in it get a SIGKILL
immediately, not a SIGTERM.

I believe this issue has been brought up before in
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-October/024452.html,
but there was no resolution then. That thread indicates that commit
743970d2 was where the regression was introduced.

I noticed this problem specifically when using "reboot" from a shell (it
happened to be over SSH, but I don't think that's significant). After
reboot, the user's shell history did *not* contain any of the commands
from that shell session, since it had been SIGKILLed.

Is there any solution for this problem on the horizon? Losing shell
history is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, but I could
well imagine some other uses for scope units that expect an orderly
shutdown.

- Michael