[systemd-devel] Native Journal source vs syslog forwarding

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Wed Nov 26 02:04:53 PST 2014

Hi!

I have an interesting situation here, which I'm trying to wrap my head
around and solve. The problem is that I have a syslog daemon (syslog-ng
3.6.1) that has a native Journal source, meaning it can pull entries
from the Journal directly, and does not need the syslog forwarding
socket - and this is the default when running on a systemd-enabled
machine.

This works beautifully, except there's one problem:

Nov 26 10:41:05 eowyn systemd-journal[14843]: Forwarding to syslog missed 1343 messages.

On Debian, syslog forwarding is enabled by default, and since syslog-ng
reads from the journal, there's nothing listening on
/run/systemd/journal/syslog, and I get spammed with messages like the
one above.

I'm not sure how to solve this problem. As far as I see, I have the
following options:

1) Drop the native journal source and use syslog forwarding.

   This is trivial to do, but I loose the extra fields and info the
   Journal collects. I'd rather not do this.

2) Have a dummy listener on /run/systemd/journal/syslog, that just reads
   everything and drops it on the floor.

   This sounds fishy, and is a bit awkward to implement in the config.
   This would also be an ugly hack, not a real solution.

3) Disable syslog forwarding if syslog-ng is installed

   Not sure how this could be achieved, because journald.conf does not
   belong to the syslog-ng package, therefore I can't fiddle its
   settings from there. (Technically, I could, but I won't, that'd be
   extremely rude.)

I'd appreciate any hints. (Disabling syslog forwarding by default is not
an option.)