[systemd-devel] Native Journal source vs syslog forwarding

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Wed Nov 26 04:07:23 PST 2014

>>>>> "Jóhann" == Jóhann B Guðmundsson <johannbg at gmail.com> writes:

    Jóhann> On 11/26/2014 10:04 AM, Gergely Nagy wrote:
    >> On Debian, syslog forwarding is enabled by default, and since syslog-ng
    >> reads from the journal, there's nothing listening on
    >> /run/systemd/journal/syslog, and I get spammed with messages like the
    >> one above.
    [...]
    >> 3) Disable syslog forwarding if syslog-ng is installed
    >>
    >> Not sure how this could be achieved, because journald.conf does not
    >> belong to the syslog-ng package, therefore I can't fiddle its
    >> settings from there. (Technically, I could, but I won't, that'd be
    >> extremely rude.)

    Jóhann> As of systemd 216 forwarding to another syslogd has been disabled by
    Jóhann> default so no need to fiddle with this setting.

Forwarding is enabled by default on Debian, as I wrote in my original
mail. I have no control over the default, and I have no desire to argue
for changing it. There are other syslogds in Debian (including the
default one) that do not read from the Journal, but rely on forwarding.
If forwarding was turned off, they'd stop working. Older versions of
syslog-ng would, too.